What is the fixed layout ePUB Format?
A fixed layout is a standard format of an ePUB in which all the contents of the page are fixed. In other words, it is the exact opposite of the renewable format. The size and position of the images in accordance with the text remain constant despite the screen size of the device in which it is viewed.
This format of ebook is also referred to as an ePub3 file. And, another prime feature of this layout is that it would look like a print version of the book.
Why do writers prefer the fixed layout format?
Writers get to make the choice of placing the text and other required elements in front of illustrating images and getting it published as an epub version.
So, the typeface and font size will be default so that the text will get displayed as per the way it was designed, irrespective of any platform of the readers or the reader’s preferences. Apart from this, another predominant factor of this fixed layout conversion is the orientation of the text and images will not vary.
Therefore, if you are in need to publish an ebook in which the text must fit within the images such as in the case of a comic book then fixed-layout would serve the purpose right.
How does a fixed-layout format look?
To get an exact picture of what a fixed-layout format is, take a look at the examples provided below…
The above-given example clearly illustrates the flexibility of texts in fixed-layout formats. Nearly most of all features, be it the full-bleed graphics, background images, double-page spreads, multi-column text, and vertical text are all possibilities are possible in the fixed layout format. Yet, all of these are possible depending on the device or its targeted platform.
So, this did hit the nail hard in its head. In fixed-layout formats, the author’s eBook gets exposed to a wide range of control over the layout of each page of the book. And, whereas the readers do not get any options to change the fonts, text size, line spacing, or the margins.
On the contrary, depending on the reader’s devices, the reader may get to change the layout of the text either from portrait to landscape or from a single page to a two-page view. But they don’t get options to alter the layout of the content spread on the page.
If that is so, then an author or a reader gets benefited from this layout only when they get a complete idea of both its advantages and disadvantages
What are the Pros and Cons of the fixed layout formats?
- The authors get total control over designing the page layout. They can include multi-column content, they may position their text over images, opt for colored backgrounds, and even choose double-page spreads.
- Fixed layout serves the best space for font embedding
- And, this format of ePub conversion is entirely dependent on the device or software.
- As the name itself indicates, it has a specific style thus the eBooks with this layout are not suitable for all devices.
- The images and text can’t be expected to orient on their own so as to fit in the screen. So, readers or writers can’t expect the text of their ebook to get adapted on most mobile devices.
- Undeniably, the Amazon download fees will be higher as a result of the large file sizes.
Readability problems in short content may occur on some devices.
- To produce and update is never affordable but luxurious.
- The distribution opportunities are also restricted
What are the most common fixed-layout ePUB formats?
The following list consists of a few most common fixed-layout eBook formats
- KF8, Kindle Print Replica, and Kindle Textbook Creator for Amazon Kindle Devices
- ePUB3 for Kobo, Apple, and Google.
- NOOK Kids for Barnes & Noble and Page perfect.
Your choice matters the most!
Only based on the type of content, either the author or the publisher gets to choose the required layout they want their eBook to be published in.
Thus, to put it in a nutshell if you are an author who has a PDF or a manuscript that predominantly consists of text, it’s better to go for a reflowable format. And if you have got one with a lot of images and designs, then carrying out the ePUB conversion services with the fixed layout will be the right choice.